Sunday, October 26, 2008

It's Alive, It's Alive - Part Deux

September 22 – October 25, 2008

It’s been over a month since I last talked about my car – it’s not that I haven’t had anything to say, I just haven’t done anything while waiting on my parts to return. On top of that, school has been busy, I’m taking a class at night at the community college and ….

Well the controller, vehicle integrator, pot box and contactor have found their way back to Ohio and are now back where they belong – in El Fiero! I repaired or updated all of the wires that were singed or cooked and added some new solderless connectors here and there. It only took about 5 hours to get it ready to test and it worked!! The off the ground test (on jackstands) was a success and I did it several times to make sure all was well. Moved the other cars out of the way, put it back on the ground, grab my drivers license and CELL PHONE and I was off to see if all was “really” well. A trip around the block – no problem. A trip around several blocks – no problem. The real test was to get my son from work (this is where it died last time) and again – no problem. I officially have my EV Grin!

So what’s next??? I still have to get my speedometer working. I know it’s just a wire, but I had other priorities today. Also, I need to finish my tachometer and get it installed. If nothing else, I can calculate speed by gear and RPM’s – who says you don’t use math! When I get my batteries cycled a few time I will take it to work and see how highway travel is. With winter approaching, I also need to find a way to keep the car warmer. I should be able to get things buttoned up to keep the car dry, but cold is still cold and I know my wife will not give up her spot in the garage. So I do have a few more items to do.

So until later….

1 comment:

Larry said...

Congratulation again :), it wont be hard to fix that sppedo and look for one of those el-cheepo ceramic heaters :). You got some miles to catch me so get driving.