Tuesday, May 6, 2008

A New Week

April 7, 2008 – Parts is Parts….

My classroom has a basic machine shop (mill, lathe, drill press, grinder…..) and I actually know how to use most of it. I also have welding equipment, CAD software, CNC capabilities and space to work. So today I started the motor hub coupler – this is the part that makes your electric motor able to accept the flywheel and clutch. A few measurements to get the bolt circle from the flywheel, take it to AutoCad for a working drawing and over to the mill for a little work. The choice of machines I believe is a preference. My mill and lathe have digital readouts, so finding the right place to drill is fairly easy. The mill is easier for me to locate all of the holes off a common center and then turn it on the lathe to get it to the right size. In hindsight, I probably should have started on the lathe and used a transfer punch to mark the flywheel holes. I did not get it finished today, but everything lined up ok. When looking at the flywheel, I decided to get rid of the big sprocket that engages the starter motor. I noticed it was pressed on and a few good whacks with a hammer and chisel and I dropped two pound real quick – the EV diet. I am hoping my motor arrives this week so I can get to work on the adapter plate. And I now retire to a nap in front of the TV.

No comments: